Robin Alperstein concentrates her practice in complex commercial litigation, with a particular focus on disputes involving hedge funds and structured products, and on class action and derivative litigation in federal and state courts. She represents domestic and international clients on a range of issues, including corporate governance matters and shareholder disputes, securities fraud, insider trading, short selling, market manipulation, fraudulent conveyance, employment, and unfair completion matters, including antitrust, theft of trade secrets and non-competition agreements. Ms. Alperstein also regularly counsels clients on complex business disputes involving contract claims, RICO violations, fraud and other business torts. She handles civil cases as well as domestic and international arbitrations, represents clients before the Securities and Exchange Commission, conducts internal investigations, and advises boards of directors, majority shareholders, management and individual directors on corporate governance issues.
- Defending witnesses before the SEC in connection with various investigations involving credit default swaps, CDOs and CLOs.
- Defending several hedge funds and a health care company in the Tribune fraudulent conveyance actions.
- Defending several hedge funds in the Lyondell fraudulent conveyance actions.
- Defending a holding company and individual against claims for conspiracy to commit fraud in connection with an alleged “pump and dump” market manipulation scheme on London and German stock exchanges.
- Prosecuting claims on behalf of a foreign investment company in connection with losses sustained due to unauthorized trading and fraud by former consultant.
- Representing structured products company in connection with corporate governance claims against a fund and its parent.
- Defending publicly traded domestic company against wage and hour class action in New York state court.
- Defeated derivative claims brought by former shareholder and director against technology company and its directors, after conducting internal investigation and advising special committee formed by Board of Directors.
- On behalf of a credit derivative products company, obtained dismissal of several claims filed by Swiss bank and obtained favorable settlement.
- On behalf of large private commercial real estate company, obtained favorable business resolution based on potential claims against foreign investment bank, without litigation.
- Advised hedge fund in connection with investigation of Ponzi scheme and corporate governance issues.
- Defeated securities fraud class action brought against foreign holding company and individual in District of Massachusetts.
- Defeated market manipulation class action brought against foreign holding company and individual directors in Southern District of New York.
- Defeated antitrust and RICO class actions claims brought against large domestic insurance company.
- Defeated direct and derivative claims brought against domestic company and individual directors for breach of fiduciary duty in Delaware Chancery Court and obtained sanctions against plaintiff.
- Won theft of trade secrets action in Northern District of California and obtained sanctions against defendant.
- Defeated claims brought in arbitration brought by investor against foreign investment bank in connection with losses in fund.
- On behalf of distributor, obtained favorable business resolution stopping anti-competitive conduct of manufacturer, without litigation.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Community-Word Project