Alec P. Ostrow concentrates his practice in bankruptcy, corporate reorganization, creditors’ rights and commercial litigation. Recognized as a New York Super Lawyer (selected by his peers as among the top 5 percent of lawyers in the state), Mr. Ostrow has served as lead counsel for many businesses that successfully reorganized in Chapter 11 or in out-of-court restructurings, as well as lead counsel for buyers and sellers, trustees, and officers and directors of distressed business in a wide range of industries, including telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, health care, insurance, real estate, reprographics, oil and gas, retail, steel manufacturing, home furnishings, construction, demolition, consumer products, and the record industry
He has also represented banks and insurance companies as creditors in major bankruptcy cases such as Lehman Brothers, Adelphia Communications and Enron, as well as foreign representatives in cross-border cases involving reinsurance and financial services.
As a trial lawyer in bankruptcy litigation, Mr. Ostrow has won multiple judgments recovering tens of millions of dollars, and has successfully defended individuals and institutions against clawback and other claims asserted by debtors, trustees and creditors’ committees.
A prolific author and frequent speaker on bankruptcy-related topics, Mr. Ostrow presents to numerous associations, including the American Bar Association and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. He has also served as panelist for the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Judicial Conference of the Second Circuit and the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees.
Mr. Ostrow is also a fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy and an adjunct professor at St. John’s University School of Law in the LL.M. in Bankruptcy program.
- Represented a creditors’ committee of a Costa Rican real estate developer in a chapter 11 case in the District of New Jersey with a confirmed plan in 2012
- Represented a foreign buyer of winery assets in a chapter 11 case in the Central District of California under a confirmed plan in 2012
- Represented an individual debtor in possession in a chapter 11 case in the Southern District of New York with a confirmed plan in 2012
- Represents an international lending institution in an out-of-court restructuring of a domestic not for profit corporation
- Represents individual and corporate, domestic and foreign, clawback defendants and potential defendants in cases pending in the Southern District of New York, the District of Delaware, and the Northern District of Ohio